When I first started submitting my writing to other websites to be featured, my goal was mainly just feeding my own ego and gaining bragging rights. While I still contend that these are perfectly good reasons to do it, I learned along the way that there are a lot of other benefits to submitting writing for publication on other websites.
While not all benefits apply to all submissions, if you submit often enough, you will start to experience most of these and can start selecting your sites based on which ones provide the benefits that are most important to you.
- Feed Your Ego
- Increase Your Site Traffic
- Gain Exposure For You/Your Site
- Reach New Audiences
- Earn Money/Be Paid For Your Writing
- Attract Writing Offers From Other Sites/Publications
- Build Your Blogging/Writing Credibility
- Increase Your Google Ranking With Back Links From Large(r) Sites
- Build Your Confidence
- Explore New Niches/Validate Your Niche
- Learn From Being Edited
- Meet Influential Bloggers and Editors
- Discover Great New Sites
- Participate In Contributor Communities
- Provide A Boost To Your Bio
- Improve Your Media Kit
- Gain New Readers, Subscribers, and Followers
- Capitalize on Site-Specific Opportunities Like Anthology Sourcing and Interview Opportunities
- Receive New Opportunities Outside of Blogging (i.e. guest posts, interviews, columns — even television appearances)
- Enhance Your Sidebar
Okay attention seekers, what did I miss?