As someone who often hears about the types of sites their fellow bloggers want to be published on, I can definitely say that Scary Mommy is at the top of the list for a huge number of bloggers who write about parenting. I had the pleasure of talking to the woman behind Scary Mommy, Jill Smokler, and hopefully we addressed many of your questions about getting your writing onto her amazing site in this podcast.
I told Jill that my interview with her was the editor interview jackpot for me, and she didn’t disappoint! Listen to learn all sorts of great tips and info about Scary Mommy — even a few things that bloggers who have been featured on Scary Mommy before may not know.
The interview includes
- The SECRET SAUCE that makes Scary Mommy stand out from other parenting sites
- A surprising answer to whether Scary Mommy WILL CONSIDER PREVIOUSLY PUBLISHED WRITING SUBMISSIONS (at least I was surprised because I had always heard otherwise!)
- The COMMON COURTESY Jill and her editor shows to everyone who submits to Scary Mommy **UPDATE – as of March 2015, Scary Mommy is no longer responding to every submission personally. They indicate that if you have not heard back within a week, that you can assume they will not be publishing your piece.**
- HOW MANY SUBMISSIONS SCARY MOMMY GETS in a given day
- The Types of posts Scary Mommy is ALWAYS LOOKING FOR
- The type of TRAVEL POST Scary Mommy wants you to WRITE ABOUT YOUR CITY
- Jill’s DO’S for submitting your writing and ONE DON’T
- The one TYPE OF POST that Jill finds the MOST REFRESHING
- HOW BLOGGERS BENEFIT by being featured on Scary Mommy
- Two of JILL’S CURRENT FAVORITE POSTS
- TWO WAYS TO IRRITATE JILL after she features your post
- The podcast topic that makes JILL’S DOG bark
- The subject of SCARY MOMMY’S NEXT BOOK
- Why SCARY MOMMY NATION should be part of your family’s holiday plans
- Some of the resource links listed are products sold on Amazon.com. If you click on one and subsequently make a purchase of any item within a 24 hour period, we will receive a small commission from Amazon.com at no additional cost to you. Read our disclosure policy for more details.
- Scary Mommy Submission Link
- Blogger Rita Templeton Shares Her Scary Mommy Success Story
- Rita Templeton’s posts on Scary Mommy about raising boys
- Scary Mommy Suggested Topics
- Scary Mommy Travel Guide (requested cities can be found at Scary Mommy Suggested Topics)
- Glitter is the Devil (And Other Things Moms Of Girls Learn)
- The Hell That Is Running Errands With Kids
- Scary Mommy Nation
- Confessions of a Scary Mommy: An Honest and Irreverent Look at Motherhood – The Good, The Bad, and the Scary
- Motherhood Comes Naturally (and Other Vicious Lies)
Subscribe to the BYB Podcast!