It isn’t often that I interview an editor from a publication that is nearly 100 years old. Writer’s Digest Managing Editor, Tyler Moss, joins me in this podcast to discuss how to break into their print magazine as a writer, the specific topics and types of pitches he loves to see, payment details, writer’s resources and lots more!
The interview includes
- How Tyler went from Writer’s Digest reader in high school to an editor with the publication as an adult
- What you’ll find in each issue of Writer’s Digest and what they are looking for in each section.
- Which magazine section is the best for new writers to break into and a new back page column
- Some recent articles Tyler calls out as pieces potential contributors will want to read
- What your pitch should (and shouldn’t) look like
- When you will get a response to your submission
- Payment and rights purchased
- The most desired qualities of a successful Writer’s Digest pitch
- Other writing resources offered by Writer’s Digest that listeners will love (including a teaser about a new conference!)
We Want Diverse Books (included in February 2016 issue) – Julie Masis
The Others – Jessica Allen
Map Your Fantasy World (included in March/April 2016 issue) – Tyler Moss
7 Things That Will Doom Your Novel (& How to Avoid Them) – James Scott Bell
Coping With Writer’s Jealousy – Liz Lazzara
How To Set A Novel In An Unfamiliar Location – Leigh Russell
72 Of The Best Quotes About Writing – Zachary Petit
Subscribe to the BYB Podcast!