**UPDATE: The Mix ceased operations in summer 2016. Pitches for Hearst Digital publications should now be submitted to each publication individually**
This is the golden ticket of podcast guests for me! I had a great discussion with Director of Contributor Recruitment at The Mix, that answers all of your questions about getting published on Hearst Digital’s 18 different websites. Whether you have aspirations of being published on the websites for Redbook, Elle, Marie Claire, Woman’s Day, Bazaar, Cosmopolitan or the other 12 magazine sites served by The Mix, this interview will have you taking notes and hopefully applying to their network! You may then find yourself refreshing your email repeatedly to see if you get an acceptance so you can start pitching their daily assignment prompts…but lets not get ahead of ourselves.
I ask Mike all the questions that I’ve been hearing from listeners about this coveted network, and he delivers everything you need to know!
The interview includes
- An overview of The Mix and how it supplements the writing they get from freelancers and staff
- Why telling a compelling story is more important than your writing credits
- The alert process for acceptances and declines when you apply to The Mix
- Whether there is any chance that a story accepted by The Mix might get into a print magazine
- The types of daily call topics you’ll get if you are accepted into The Mix and how to submit a piece for consideration
- The quick turnaround between submitting a piece, acceptance/decline, and publication
- Information about payment and bonuses
- How promotion of published stories is handled by The Mix
- Mike’s tip for applying via email and referencing Beyond Your Blog
Things You Should Never Say to a Woman Who Doesn’t Want Kids – Nicole Rupersburg
The Sound of Your Chewing Fills Me With Rage – Renata Sellitti
Subscribe to the BYB Podcast!